Thursday, October 29, 2015

I Love Halloween Because I'm A Christian

How do you feel when you are finally relaxing on the couch after a full day's work, and you hear a knock at the door? You have answered calls all day, you've sat in meetings, and you've listened to the boss drone on and on about TPS reports. But now you've taken a deep breath, sat down, and you just want to kick back and relax. And then there is a knock at the door and you think, or possibly mutter, "It better not be a sales pitch or one of those religious people telling me I'm going to hell because I don't want to sign up for their freaking newsletter that will tell me once a month, in more detail, why they think I am going to hell."

Whoever is at the door doesn't have much of a chance and you haven't even opened the door yet.

Then, there is Halloween, the day where we make sure we are home for the very purpose of waiting for people to knock on our door so we can give them something we bought, because we have labored over the TPS reports, and spent our money on a treat to give to the stranger at the door. And we do it with a smile, thrilled to walk to the door, excited to see who is going to be on the other side. That was the plan. It was the goal to buy treats for random strangers who have come to our house dressed up as Yoda, singing songs about smelling feet and giving treats. Not just one stranger, but dozens and dozens, maybe even hundreds of random strangers singing songs about smelling their feet, and you are going to give them a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup you purchased for them.

Awesome, completely and totally awesome! Kind and generous, both in heart and wallet; and almost the complete opposite of what we see on the news and chirping through the twitter feed all day.

The community out and about, walking around the neighborhood, smiling, laughing, interacting, and welcoming the stranger with a high five or a friendly handshake. As a Christian (a pastor even), this is like a dream come true, or a vision that has been prayed for and preached about. I know a lot of pastors that pray for this kind of connection opportunity, for their congregations to live with a heart bursting with this type of kindness, generosity, and hospitality. And it's happening, all this amazing kindness and friendliness, on Halloween night, on my block, with all of my neighbors.

Somebody ought to protest. Christians ought to protest. Step up on that soapbox and grab that bullhorn and start yelling and calling down fire from heaven to lick up the pure evil and demonic presence of six-year-old Nancy dressed up like Sophia the First.

Now, I'm fully aware there are some who are frustrated and saying that Sophia the First is not the problem, but it's the history of Halloween, the origins that are wrought with evil and demonic forces. What about the witches, ghosts, and ghouls? You're telling me that you don't want to celebrate evil and wickedness and play into that kind of darkness. Great. Then don't. I don't. In fact, this is my 40th Halloween and I have never seen, experienced or interacted with any of that junk. The closest I have ever come to hearing about the dark history of Halloween is from, well, church people.

For me, Halloween was always a night where my brothers and I were the best of friends, we were on mission together to find the best candy, to go to as many houses as possible and sing songs to neighbors, that on most other days we don't get along with, talk to, or even like. But on this night we were sprinting to their house, waiting for them to open their door, and then beaming with pride when they complimented our creativity and fantastic sense of humor because of how we were costumed.

On Halloween, I have experienced community and neighborliness often only dreamed about. This has been my experience and this is what I celebrate, and it's what I am gifting to my three sons. Inviting the neighbors over for coffee and hot chocolate, caramel apples, and endless Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, which someone else paid for and gave my kids, for free. Peanut butter and chocolate aside, this is a night in which communities and neighborhoods take time from their exhaustive to-do lists, their endless sports schedules, and their go-go mentality. The one goal is to walk to their neighbors and talk with them. Or it is being home, waiting with anticipation to respond to the dozens and dozens of knocks on their door so they can give people treats, free of charge, only a smile attached. Beautiful, I'm in.

In some of the earliest writing of the Older Testament in the Biblical library, you will find the instructions to Love God and Love Your Neighbor. Later in the library, Jesus is asked on several occasions what are the most important instructions that worshipers of God should follow. Jesus responds to these questions with, "Love God and Love Your Neighbor." Be light, shine in the darkness, live what you learn, because that is the way of Jesus.

Community and neighbors and laughter and creativity, that is Halloween in my book. I celebrate that, and I celebrate that because I am a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment